An Open Letter to Provo

m sitting downward to write this missive of the alphabet during placidity fourth dimension An Open Letter to Provo 
My catch equally I walk into run each week.

Dear Provo,

I'm sitting downward to write this missive of the alphabet during placidity time. I but hoisted the babe inwards her crib for a nap together with my other ii daughters are finding delight inwards the kids YouTube Channel (don't gauge me Provo). This is my husband's twenty-four hours to run (we convey turns working during the week) hence he's at his component together with my oldest child, a curious get-go grader is no uncertainty waving his shaggy pilus together with making symbols amongst a unwrap ii pencil. This is my solely window to write this letter, delight sympathise it's non going to travel perfect.

I did a pretty extensive interview for a podcast yesterday. I was asked to tell my life story--specifically growing up, together with straight off making a living together with a abode inwards Provo. It's tardily for me to tell this component of my story: I grew upwards here, I went to schoolhouse here, I went to college nearby, I got married here, I had babies here, I bought homes here, I run here. I similar Provo. I recollect it's beautiful together with it's generous. My hubby together with I receive got talked a lot nigh moving but where would nosotros go? We alive at the pes of gorgeous mountains, our kids walk across the street to school, nosotros don't worry much nigh safety, nosotros experience our community shares our values (for the most part, I mean, I am a passionate progressive), nosotros love living inwards a college town, it's relatively inexpensive together with nosotros are really proud of the growing civilization here. Plus, nosotros laissez passer on off to associate amongst the coolest people here. We love our people inwards Provo. Why else would nosotros sacrifice a lot of our fourth dimension for the Rooftop Concert Series, or proceed my project equally a community outreach adviser to the mayor himself?  I mean, we're dedicated.

And yet, the subject that kept boiling to the surface during this interview was my lamenting of a lack of woman somebody leadership inwards my youth. By an overwhelming percent, the leaders I saw at church, school, civic engagement equally good equally coaches together with advisers inwards Provo were male. I rarely saw women navigating the waters of abode together with work, to travel honest, I didn't fifty-fifty know it was possible. There was a hushed tagline attached to the narrative of women who worked, together with it was, "Oh that's equally good bad, I wonder what is incorrect amongst her husband?" This is incredibly unfortunate of course. Not solely did women demand to run inwards my community but or hence of them wanted to work--and that felt similar a betrayal of morals. My biggest regret growing upwards inwards Provo was the distorted catch of womanhood. And something tells me that has to a greater extent than to produce amongst the times hence it did amongst the location, although Provo has it's ain unique ready of patriarchal persuasions.

As an adult hither inwards Provo I receive got come upwards to realize that at that topographic point are those of us hither who don't desire Provo to change. Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 lot of my neighbors would similar to encounter Provo never depart from the traditions we've held on to for generations. But I've never felt compelled to recreate my childhood for my kids. On the contrary, I encounter my project equally improving my childhood for my kids. One thing I would absolutely similar improved for my children equally they grow upwards inwards Provo is seeing an increase inwards women leadership. (But that's non all, credence of all diverseness is something else I desire to a greater extent than of inwards Provo.)

In ii weeks all of us volition receive got an chance to vote pro-female. Carina Wytiaz is running for a city-wide council topographic point on the Provo City Council together with she's a smart choice. Not solely does she sympathise Provo--as a beau native (born, raised, educated) Provoan--but she's incredibly intelligent, thoughtful, contemplative, constructive together with visionary. (And for the tape Provo, she's also delightfully witty.) She's worked inwards our concern together with tech community for decades, she's the married adult woman of a world schoolhouse instructor together with she's a natural leader who has an splendid grasp on smart economical growth together with urban planning . Carina also gets what it's similar equally a woman parent of 3 kids to travail to abide by work/life balance. And speaking of work/life balance, I receive got no uncertainty nosotros tin produce a improve project at achieving this together but nosotros demand people leading our community who sympathise its complexity.

(Also, she is my dearest friend. If you've been reading my spider web log for whatever total of fourth dimension you lot would know this. She's had a pregnant component inwards the even out of my life. I owe her a lot for increasing my worldview.)

I listen people say, "I desire to vote for the best candidate--gender doesn't matter" together with I would similar to tell something nigh that: until nosotros receive got sex parity inwards our community sex will matter. We brand sex an upshot when nosotros don't back upwards feasible women candidates--because it puts us inwards a bigger sex deficit. Gender volition halt existence an upshot when nosotros receive got unopen the sex gap inwards our city. We are far from it. We demand to travel catching upwards today. I'm non cry for you lot to vote for someone but because she is female, but I am cry for you, if you lot receive got a rigid candidate who is passionate nigh Provo, represents a smart hereafter together with understands the problems together with progress nosotros are seeing here, why wouldn't you lot vote for her?

As a miss of Provo, I believe our children demand to experience the expansive capabilities of women. They demand it equally much equally balanced budget or a taxation for recreation together with art.  They demand to encounter us engaged inwards promoting rigid women into leadership. They demand to encounter us women working to that end. Whenever I kiss my children practiced cheerio equally I leave of absence for a twenty-four hours of run solving community problems, or moving ridge to them from the Rooftop Concert Series stage, or convey them door-to-door equally nosotros create for a candidate nosotros believe in, I recollect of the motto, "They cannot travel what they cannot see."

Please attention our daughters--and sons--see possibilities inwards Provo.
Join me inwards voting for Carina on NOVEMBER 3rd!

(Early voting starts today!)

Thanks.

Your Neighbor,
Courtney Clark Kendrick

p.s. for your consideration:




Sumber http://www.cjanekendrick.com/
Post a Comment (0)
Previous Post Next Post